Perhaps no other form of modern transportation is as versatile and simple to engage as the scooter. These machines have indeed revolutionized the manner in which short-term travels are carried out. It is for this reason that they have to be studied in greater details.
We are going to do just that in the proceeding discussions. We are going to study these machines deeply by exploring some of the pertinent issues surrounding them like their features, history, benefits, downsides, brands, and applicability.
Table of Contents
For a start, a scooter is a special kind of automobile. It resembles a bicycle in almost all regards. It has two wheels, two handles, a saddle, floorboard, and pedals. It differs from the bicycle in the sense that it is powered by diesel or electricity. The ordinary bikes, on the other hand, are manually powered.
The typical scooter has a step-through frame which allows you to pass through your legs. It comprises a body which covers the entire engine and other internal components. It lastly has a spotlight that is located at its front. This obviously is to provide the needed illumination for night travels.
Riding the scooter largely depends on the power source. Electric-powered scooters are simpler to ride in that they contain less sophisticated parts and components. You only need to turn them on and let the scooter do the rest of the job.
Gas-powered scooters, on the other hand, are a bit complicated. They have a clutch for regulating the flow of gas into the engine. They also have hand brakes to bring the scooter to a complete halt and an accelerator to vary the speed of motion.
To ride a gas-powered scooter successfully, you really have to master and comprehend the various parts and components. You then have to determine when and under what circumstances to engage whichever part. It is only in this way that you will be able to do an awesome job.
Scooters started taking shape in 1894. It was in this year that Hildebrand & Wolfmüller produced the first motorcycle. Its basic design featured a step-through frame and two-cylinder engine. This engine was cooled by means of a radiator that was built at the top of the rear fender. It reached a maximum speed of only 40km/h.
Over the years, the scooter underwent several modifications. The engine capacity and technology saw radical improvements. As such, it has been able to generate higher torque and reach top speeds as well. The entire body of the scooter also went through certain modifications which saw it get slimmer and more aerodynamic.
In the recent times, electric scooters that are battery-powered have been developed. They are charged rather than re-fueled as were their predecessors. They emit zero carbon and also reach amazingly high speeds. This is not to mention that they are comparatively simpler to navigate and maneuver.
Regardless of their types, shapes, colors, and models, scooters display the following common characteristics:
• Engine – This is the component of the scooter that produces the torque (rotational force) which sets the wheels in motion. In gas-powered scooters, it comes in the form of an internal combustion cylinder. In electric powered scooters, it comes in the form of a motor which derives power from rechargeable batteries.
• Transmission – After the torque has been generated by the engine, it has to be transmitted to the wheels. The transmission mechanism acts as a go-between the engine and the wheels. It basically receives torque from the engine and conveys the same to the wheels.
• Storage – All scooters do have certain compartments that are dedicated to the safeguarding of vital items. The capacities of the storage compartments vary from scooter to scooter. The precise items you may store therein also varies with size and kind of scooter.
• Braking Mechanism – If and when the scooter has reached its destination, it has to be brought to a complete halt. The braking mechanism is the one that is responsible for this. It basically applies a frictional force to the wheels to force them to slow down and eventually halt.
• Starting Mechanism – Just like the breaking mechanism, all scooters have to start mechanisms. These mechanisms do the exact opposite of what the breaking mechanisms do. They ignite and set the scooter moving rather than stopping them. They comprise the ignition systems, batteries, and keys.
Scooters are loved the world over and for various reasons. In countries that are less affluent such as India, Vietnam, and much of Africa, they are the primary means of transport. They earn this designation by the sheer fact that they are cheaper; both to acquire and maintain.
In much of Europe and North America, they are mainly used for leisure and occasionally for commuting to and from work. They are cheaper and are subject to comparatively limited restrictions as the automobiles.
Scooters may serve the following purposes:
• Commuting – As stated, scooters provide inexpensive forms of commuting to and from work. They are cheaper to acquire, consume less fuel and are also easier to navigate in congested traffic.
• Leisure – If you plant to hang around in parks, arboretum, countryside, and beaches, you may find the scooter a worthy companion. They are simpler to ride, provide breathtaking views of the outward environment, and flexible.
• Fitness – Some kinds of scooters may also work the legs, and thigh muscles. In this regard, they may also discharge the roles of fitness and workouts. You may wish to acquire such kind of a scooter if you are keen on working your body out.
• Cargo Transportation – Since all scooters have storage compartments, they may also be used for the transportation of cargo. For them to discharge this role you simply have to place your cargo in the said compartment and there you go!
• Learning – Scooters do not differ widely from cars; at least in their riding mechanisms. For this reason, you may ride a scooter to help you sharpen your driving skills. Being portable, compact, and simpler, you will get to grasp the required concepts much easier.
As of the year 2018, the following are the top brands of scooters:
Well, we have tried our level best to furnish you with all relevant pieces of information you certainly need to know. We are now pretty confident that you have the necessary guidance to make the right purchasing decision.
Owing to the importance of these transportation marvels, we urge you to make every effort to acquire at least one scooter soonest possible. You do not want to delay enjoying the benefits outlined above, do you? Moreover, waiting too long before arriving at such a crucial decision may make you settle for an inferior quality scooter.